Under the Teachers Training Programme initiated by the CBSE, English
faculty attended a workshop on the topic Innovative Pedagogy for Teaching
English: Experiential Learning on 22nd May, 2020. The session was conducted
by Mrs. Jyotsna Grover, Principal, Salwan Public School.
Game bắn cá ăn xuThe workshop focused on the effective use of Experiential Learning for maximizing learning outcomes in English classrooms. The resource-person encouraged the participants to lay emphasis on making language learning interesting, enjoyable and exciting for the learners. The highlights of the workshop are as follows:
- Experiential Learning is of great importance in grooming both self-directed and distracted learners.
- A beautiful story based on the significance of hands-on approach was showcased. The story clearly highlighted the difference teachers and their teaching approach can make in a child's life and his perception towards learning.
- David A. Kolb's Cycle of Experiential Learning Model (ELM) was explained with the help of a variety of examples. Stress was laid on the practical application of the model. A video highlighting the practical usage of ELM was also showcased.
- The 5Es of Experiential Learning - Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate and Evaluate were discussed in order to highlight the benefits of Experiential Learning.
- Flexible classrooms can be created with the help of a broad range of teaching methodologies like guided games, field trips, films and documentaries, role-plays, art-based activities, peer tutoring, etc.
- Hands-on activities such as creating self-composed poems, writing horoscopes with predictions and suggestions, using songs for language acquisition, etc. were also suggested by the resource-person.
- The participants were enthralled, when a beautiful song titled 'Hero' by Mariah Carey was played. It was further suggested that showing famous movie clips and songs can be made a part of teaching as it will not only engage the learners but will help them in wholesome assimilation of the language.